Thursday, 29 December 2011

Waeshaeil-Jarrett


Christmas has come and gone. I hope you had a lovely time, however you spend it.

Yesterday I took some pictures of my finished Jarrett. I knitted this for my boyfriend as a Christmas present. It surely isn't my best work, but it turned out alright. I think. My BF likes it, it's soft and I'm very pleased with the colour. So it's alright enough not to get me curse nervous ;)

 

Designer: Kim Hargreaves
Book: Rowan Vintage Knits
Yarn: Drops Alpaca 
Soundtrack for this project: Bruce Springsteen - Erie Canal

I made it with drops alpaca (Surprised, anyone?) I let BF choose a colour, coincidentally he wanted a colour I already had in my stash (intended for another project). I thought it to be a bit silly to order new yarn which I already owned and I definately don't want to be spotted walking with my bf wearing the same coloured sweater. (before you know it we are wearing the same red coloured raincoat EEEEEEK!), so I just used the stashed yarn, and will have to look for different yarn for the intended project.  




I'm a bit dissapointed with the pattern. Which comes as a bit of a surprise for me, since Kim Hargreaves is one of my favourite designers. There weren't any mistakes in the pattern, just a lot things that were a bit unclear in the way they were written. That's just something I hadn't expected in a pattern written by one of my top 5 designers. Maybe that's the reason I'm not too happy now it's done.
Modifications: 
- I used thinner yarn.
- Modified for a smaller size.
- Modified sleeve cap.


This is what my boyfriend had to say about it:
"This cardigan was my christmas-present. I had admittedly been a little bit jealous of Nisse's home-knit cardigans, and even though I theoretically  could knit one myself, it would be nowhere near as perfect as one knitted by Nisse. So when she asked me what patterns I liked, with a big hint towards Christmas, I was quite happy. Obviously I've watched the process of making the cardigan, and thus knew what gift I would get this christmas, but seeing the garment being build up from the start only makes it even more special.

I'm really happy with the result. I love the colour. I usually wear mostly brown, green or grey shades, so I'm still in need of some guidance as to how to combine this cardigan with the rest of my wardrobe ;)  It's really comfortable, and actually I'm even more jealous of Nisse's collection of hand-knit garments now that I've tried one myself. When putting the cardigan on or taking it off though, I'm still quite nervous to break it! I suspect the cardigan will survive though ;)"



I have some more exciting posts coming up so I'll be seeing you soon! 
xxx





0 comments :