Monday, 20 February 2012

Finished project: Var (or the Nonni & Manni cardigan)

I finished my first Icelandic sweater! 


Pattern: Var (Ístex Lopi No. 29)
Designer: Védís Jónsdóttir
Yarn: Istex Létt-Lopi 
Soundtrack for this project: Anything by Fungus (Dutch link), I think this is by far the most underrated band of my own country! You can listen to one of their songs here.




It was a nice, cosy, woodsy knit. I used the yarn I got for Chrismas. I actually finished it a few days ago, and it all went pretty smooth, apart from the hood. I probably wanted to finish it so badly, that I got a little bit confused while working the hood... so stubborn me decided to do it my own way, and I'm quite satisfied. I never was sure about the colourwork on the hood anyway...


And, obviously... the steeking! THE STEEKING! My first time using this technique!! It was actually far easier and less nerve-wrecking to do. Maybe it was because of my fever, but I had cut straight through my whole garment before the nerves came. I'm happy that it went so easy, because the pattern is ten times more awesome as a cardigan (even though it was awesome as a sweater as well). Though it's said that a sweater with lopi yarn doesn't have to be reinforced, and by the sticky-ness of the yarn I'm willing to believe them, as a newbie I didn't want to take any risks and reinforced both sides of the cut by sewing.



Knitting this cardigan has made me fall in love with lopi yarn! It's perfect for knitting colourwork and it's available in all sorts of pretty colours. It has been a while since I knitted a sweater bottom-up and I enjoyed doing it again.

I named the cardigan after one of my favourite childhood tv-series, Nonni & Manni. It's an Icelandic series set in 1869 about two brothers who go through all sort of adventures. Said brothers are Nonni & Manni, though I believe I liked Julli the most. Figures, he was a shepherd and had a cool flute… ;)



Mods: 
I Made the body a bit longer.
I had to change the shaping because I made the body longer.
I didn't do the whole colourwork pattern on hood. 
I made a different buttonband, because I wanted buttons instead of a zipper/snap buttons :)


Onwards to my next sweater! I'm still undecided as for which to choose... you know the usual I-just-finished-a-thing-now-what-to-knit-next-blues. What's on your needles? 

xxx

8 comments :

Anonymous said...

Frank: Addoe leuk kind die vest.

Anonymous said...

Super goed gelukt en mooi met die knopen. Goed gedaan puik!

Nisse said...

Bedankt :) Ben er super blij mee!

Kathrin said...

31027. lyfrasDear Nisse,

I've visited your Treehouse recently for the first time and I think it's a very special and wonderful world you're creating here. So nice to look over your shoulder!
That's also why I gave you a little blogger award on my little robin blog, if I may invite you to stop by.

Best wishes,
Kathrin

Wendy said...

Wow what a delightful cardigan! The colours are just perfect together!
I have just started a cable cardigan from 'A Stitch in Time 2' but can't stop thinking of all the other things I want to make to!

Nisse said...

Thank you! I know what you mean. I basically want to knit half of the garments from a stitch in time 2, let alone the rest of my queue!
It's going to take me ages to knit all the things I want to knit...but it are going to be nice ages ;)

xxx

Anonymous said...

Wat heb je een mooi vest gebreid! Is het fijner om het open of dicht te dragen?

Nisse said...


Dankjewel! Zelf draag ik hem meestal dicht, maar dat is denk ik ook een beetje persoonlijke voorkeur. :)