Sunday, 15 September 2013

Colour Craving: The Yarn



Folks, it's that time of the year again:
Time for the yearly Stephen West Mystery Knit Along.

The idea is the same as with a "normal" knit-along, as in: Lots of people knit the same pattern, at the same time, talk about it and in general have a great time. The difference, cue in the 'mystery', is that in Stephen's twisted version, we (the participants) have no idea what the finished product will look like, we only know that it is a shawl. Stephen West has succesfully held two mystery knit alongs in the past two years, with participants reaching in the thousand(s). I was eager to have a go at it myself at some point too.

I never participated in a mystery knit along before, and had my doubts in the past for the obvious reasons: Don't you want to know what the finished project looks like, before you invest all that time?  In the end I saw how much fun everyone has participating in such an event and ofcourse the joy while knitting and the enormous curiosity that keeps you going ("yes, wait, just let me finish this clue before I ......").

 As an extra feature to this KAL, I present you, the boyfriend:

Hello, it's me.
You don't know me, but I know who you are.
(Damnit, but I've just always wanted to say that.)

On this blog, I'm referred to as the Boyfriend. For the first time, I'll speak to you directly. To start: I'm not a knitter. That is to say, I know how to knit, theoretically, I'm just rubbish in putting it to practice. I've knitted a plain hat once, which took me about half a year and turned out itchy and to small. I do really like knitted products and have often begged Nisse  to knit me this Westknits-shawl or that Rowan cardigan. (As a matter of fact, I do love to look at yarn and patterns, even though I've barely ever touched knitting needles myself. I think it's a virus that contaminates everything within the Treehouse.)

So, with the KAL I've been pursuaded to take matters in my own hands, quite literally. I'm joining this KAL. Though I have no illusions of keeping up with Nisse or the other participants, I do think that the mere trying to keep up will be a motivation to keep the needles clicking at moments when I would rather throw them aside in frustration. (How the heck do you keep those tiny loops of yarn from accidentally slipping from your needles?)

Anyways, I'll keep you updated as to the progress. So far, it's been difficult but fun  :)

So, hah! There's the good news! I (we) have allready bought the yarn, and gotten the first clue yesterday. The yarn we bought is fingering-weight, as requested in the pattern, though it seems to be slightly thinner then the yarn Stephen uses in his video. As I've blogged about before, I'm a huge fan of Holstgarn. For the mystery KAL I've bought their yarn 'Samarkand', which is a nice blend of wool with silk (75/25). I've choosen a colour combination of 'Chalk' white, 'Rosewood' brown and 'Bluebell' blue. I picked the first two as my base colour, and then went looking for a nice contrast. The boyfriend has picked three contrasting colour, though they do remind me a bit of die Deutsche Fahne.  Pictures below! 


We're currently working on the first clue. The next clue will arrive in a week, so I'll give you some updates with WIP-pictures around that time!

Xxx Nisse

3 comments :

Sandra Augiga said...

Fingering weight on 4mm? My guess is that it is going to be lacy? Or at least holey? I'm not really a fan of Stephen West, but I'm looking forward to what you and the Boyfriend produce. Go team Treehouse!

Nisse said...


My thoughts exactly! Though I went down in needle size anyway because it was a bit too loose for my taste (sssshh don't tell Stephen!).

Thanks, I'm curious to see how he will manage ans whether he will stay motivated. Fingers crossed!

diy said...

Kan je een zeefsjaal maken.
Hebben jullie weer een tijdje te werken met dat dunne garen.
Heb een fijne dag en doe de groeten aan Stas.
Daag.

Paul