Friday, 26 September 2014

Favourite Fall Sweater


At the beginning of  this week Andi wrote a blogpost, and asked her readers to share their favourite fall sweater and why. I thought this is a great idea and I've already been inspired by the sweaters I saw on blogs and on Instagram. I had planned on going back to some old sweaters and show you how they've stand the test of regular wear. I picked two of my favourite garments for this blogpost.


First up is my version of Fair Isle Yoke, from A Stitch in Time vol 1.This is  a vintage pattern originally published in Woman's weekly in 1946. I'm amazed how versatile this sweater has turned out to be. The sweater is made in fingering wool and short sleeves, which is common for vintage sweaters. Most garments, even when the pattern calls for short sleeves, I make in a long-sleeved version, yet the short sleeves in this one make it very wearable. Especially in the beginning of fall it's not cold enough to take the think, Icelandic cardigans out of the closet. I often wear this sweater over a dress or skirt, and when it gets colder I wear a lightweight cardigan over it.


The second pattern is this blue cardigan. It's actually one of those garments that I wear throughout the year, but in fall it rarely spends any time on a clothes rack at all. Rather than black or white, navy is my go-to colour: it seemingly fits with everything I have in my wardrobe. It's made from Alpaca wool, a delightfully warm fiber: You don't need a heavy weight yarn if it's made of alpaca. As this is one of the first garments I ever made, the yarn is Drops. I used to love Drops yarns very much as it's one of the few affordable and easy accessible yarn brands over here. Especially as at that time I didn't dare to order yarn 'from over the pond' yet. It's kind of funny to look back at a time where Jamieson & Smith or Old Maiden Aunt were distant strangers to me (Lord knows, those yarns and I are very familiar these days!)

This cardigan is only the second sweater I've ever made. It's really quite old and has seen lot's of wear, especially at the cuffs it shows. Because I've worn it so much, this is a project I'm considering to reknit pretty much exactly as it was, but before that I will probably keep wearing it until it literally falls apart...


4 comments :

Heather said...

Oh, I love that blue cardigan! The fair isle one is pretty too, but I'm really taken by the blue. AND into the favourites (and queue) it goes! Thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

Twee prachtige stukken, het vest is super en de trui is ook schitterend. Kan me voorstellen dat je ze erg fijn vindt om te dragen. Mooi gemaakt!
Gr Margot

Nisse said...

Thank you both! Let me know if you start it!

pinkqueen said...

Love that sweater! You look so cozy!

More Sweater:www.pinkqueen.com